Monday, May 12, 2008

Emerson LaSalle Meme

The folks that run a blog that I read every once in a while posted a fun little game that I thought some of you might enjoy.

I sort of adapted it to feature only Emerson LaSalle novels, make it a little more relevant to our purpose here. Anyway, here's how it works:

1) Pick up the nearest Emerson LaSalle novel.
2) Open to page 123.
3) Locate the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences here or on your own blog.

Should be fun, yeah?

Can anyone tell me why it's called a meme?

-Jim

4 comments:

marnanel said...

It's called a meme because it's a piece of culture which replicates itself, like a gene is a piece of genetic materical that replicates itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

EmersonLasalle said...

Ah, thanks, Marnanel. That bugged me. It's good to have friends who understand these things better than me.

-Jim

Neil said...

From SPRAIN! (1970)

"You need this," Dr. Mombrat said as the machine kept up the pressure on her ankle-muscles tearing, bones flexing. The only tool left at her disposal was her hypnotic sexiness, and she lolled her tongue around slippily on her glossed-up lips. She was about to ask if there was some other way to
work out their differences when she heard the bone pop and everything went painful.

Jake Dickey said...

I just dug out my 1934 reprint of The Clockwork Woman (1928), from LaSalle's more naive days which cryptically predicted both the great depression and the uprising of Nazi Germany, which ultimately contributed to its popularity in the mid '30s. Unfortunately the pages were a little stuck together, and when I pulled them apart, there was some damage, but here is what I could read along with some corrections from what little I remember:

...undulating wildly out of controll in time with the mechanical Charleston played by her own clockwork band which had turned agai[nst her.]... ..."[With] her under our influence, we c... ...discover the secret to b[uilding our own] army of clockwork Nazis!" "Nooo!" cried Doris, unable to free herself from the music's magnetic command.